Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted by on Apr 10, 2017 in Finance | 0 comments

Business travellers: you can claim travel tax rebate

Business travellers: you can claim travel tax rebate


No matter how easy technology makes it for people to connect, it is still necessary to travel for business interests. Sitting in an office and talking on the phone or staring at a screen is not the same thing as having a face-to-face talk. However, more often than not, employers refuse to pay for travel costs. It is no wonder that employees end up using their own car or pay their own airplane tickets. If your employer will not support travel expenses, do not despair. There is something you can do. If you have used your own money for travel, you can claim a travel tax rebate. To find out how you can claim your money back, keep reading this article.

Expenses you can claim tax relief from

If you travel for business, you have the opportunity to claim tax relief from the expenses you have made. Charges you can claim tax rebates on are

  • Public transportation costs
  • Parking fees
  • Food and drink
  • Hotel accommodation
  • Phone calls
  • Photocopying costs
  • Mileage and fuel costs

Case in point: let us look at mileage relief

Although the UK is not manufacturing as many vehicles as it used to, regular people still depend on cars for travelling. As a matter of fact, they are asked to use their vehicles for business purposes. As stated previously, employers do not always pay their expenses and if they do, they do not cover the entire amount. Employees have no other choice than to claim tax back on their mileage through the mileage allowance, which will cover all your expenses.

How to claim travel tax rebate

If you have used your own vehicle for business at any point, you are due money. Although it is a common practice for employees to use their own vehicles, this does not mean that they are the ones to support the expenses. Do not be one of those people who cannot be bothered. Get your money back. The way you claim taxes depends largely on the amount you are claiming. If you are claiming up to £2,500 in expenses, you can make the claim yourself. All you need is a self-assessment tax return form, which you can download from the Internet. On the other hand, if you are claiming a much larger sum, you will get a letter telling you what to do next.


When it comes to claims for tax purposes, the HM Revenue and Customs will not automatically grant you a rebate. You have to submit a claim. However, if you find that the paperwork and the regulations are too complicated for you, get the help of a professional tax back service. They will review your claim and send the claim over to the HMRC, having helped many people who have been driving for work purposes. There are no easy guidelines, so there is no way of simplifying the matter. With the help of a service of this kind, you are sure to get the maximum legal refund, which is what you deserve.